Friday, January 27, 2012

A Smoothie A Day...part 5

Do you know what you make when you have a basket of oranges sitting there waiting to be used?  Well a smoothie with fresh squeezed orange juice of course.  I wanted to make a smoothie that tasted like an Orange Julius.  I haven't had one of those is so long and it sounded so good.  I looked online for a recipe to get me started but I had some issues with the recipes I was finding.  It seems that in order to get that frothy taste that you get from the original Orange Julius you need to add an egg white to the smoothie.  Well, I'm not really excited about adding a raw egg white to something I am not cooking, so I didn't.  I don't think Orange Julius uses a raw egg white but all the recipes I found mentioned using one, or egg white powders which I don't have.  Today's smoothie is....

                          Orangn't Glad It's a Smoothie
                               makes 1 serving
1 frozen banana
1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 plain greek yogurt
3 vanilla soy milk ice cubes (about 5-6 tablespoons)
1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
1 large handful of spinach
ice

I bought a large bag, I'm thinking it was a 10lb bag, of oranges at the store a week ago. The little man loves oranges so it was a great deal at only $2.50 for the bag.  It took me 8 large oranges to get a cup of juice, I was surprised it took that many.  Maybe they weren't very juicy oranges.

Yesterday I was curious about the calorie count of my smoothie, now I'm thinking I will go back to the other smoothies and figure out the calories on those as well, and on all the smoothies from now on.

Calories: 367
(banana 105, yogurt 75, orange juice 112, agave 30, soy milk 25, spinach 20)
Fat: less than 1 gram!!!!
(the soy milk has 3.5 grams in 1 cup, I only used 5-6 tablespoons so it has to be less than 1 gram!)


As I said earlier, the little man loves oranges so of course he loved this smoothie.  Since my munchkin (my 8 month old) was also awake he got a chance to try it out and he liked it too.

0 interesting comments: