Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Smoothie A Day...part 3

Today I was drawing a blank when it came to making my smoothie.  I looked through my pantry, my freezer and my fridge and nothing jumped out at me.  Well that't not entirely true.  I saw the coffee pot and coffee sitting in my pantry and thought a java type of smoothie would be pretty tasty, even though I don't care for coffee at all.  But you can't really make a frosty smoothie out of hot coffee so I brewed a pot and plan on using it tomorrow, I'll put it in an ice cube tray as soon as it cools so I have coffee flavored ice cubes...stay tuned.

This mornings smoothie, after lots of opening and closing of my pantry, freezer and fridge is....

Popeye's Blueberry Lemonade
makes 1 serving
1 frozen banana
1/3 cup frozen blueberries
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1 large handful of fresh spinach
1 serving protein powder (today's was a vanilla flavored whey protein powder, not too bad)
water or ice to make to desired consistency

As always, put into a blender and blend.


You may be noticing a trend when it comes to my smoothies...I always use a frozen banana and my veggie of choice is always spinach...why? you might ask.  Well let me tell you.  I like the texture the banana gives to my smoothies.  I started freezing them one time when I had tons of them sitting on my counter and noticed they were going brown.  Now I always freeze them, my ice maker on my fridge doesn't work so its a perfect way to avoid adding ice to the smoothie.  And spinach, well I like adding a veggie to my smoothie so I know that I am getting the required number of servings of veggies a day.  I have tried lots of different veggies in the past and spinach is the one that I can taste the least when it comes to my smoothies.

Oh...and of course...the little guy liked this one too.

0 interesting comments: