Saturday, January 23, 2010

A new experiment

A while ago James and I bought a cookbook from the Biggest Loser (you know, the reality show). I had made a few things from it but the other night I pulled it out to make one of the recipes I had already made and was flipping through the book. I said to James, I'm going to cook all these recipes and try them out. And I thought he'd say 'UGH, really?" but he said "go for it!" So I'll post a little something about the recipes I cook so that if someone wants to buy the cookbook they'll know if the recipes are any good. I'll even rank each recipe for everyone, on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best.


Today I cooked the following:

For breakfast we had the Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich. James gave it a 4.5, he said it was a bit dry for him, probably because there wasn't any butter on the english muffins. I really liked it, I'd give it a 7.

For lunch we had the Almost Fast Food Burger. Both of us really liked it! We both gave it a 9. Personally I don't know what was any different between this hamburger and the hamburgers we normally BBQ, except the whole-wheat buns. It was really yummy!

For dinner we had New Orleans Rubbed Chicken with Apricot-Mustard Sauce and Lizzeth's Cucumber Salad. For me the chicken was really spicy, well for me, Josten and Dakota it was really spicy. But it was still good, I'll just use less cayenne pepper next time. James loved it! He said the first bite was spicy but after that it was great. He gave the chicken a 9, I would give it a 7.5. The cucumber salad, for me, was ok, but I've never really liked cucumber salads. James said it was yummy, he gave it an 8, I give it a 5.

For dessert (yes even desserts are included!!) we had One-Serving Chocolate Cheesecakes. James gives it a 7, he says it was different but it wasn't wonderful. He really liked the crust of it, which was made from Grape-Nuts cereal. I didn't really like the chocolate flavoring of it, but I'm not a huge chocolate fan. I might make it next time without the chocolate. I gave it a 7 also.

Here is a calorie count, which really surprised James because he couldn't believe how little we ate and full he has felt.
Breakfast: 278
Lunch: 281
Dinner: 197 + 40= 237
Dessert: 107
Total for the day: 903

Of course we went to see a movie today, Avatar, and ate popcorn and a soda so we ate a lot more than 903 calories, but still, 903 calories would normally be one meal for us so that was pretty amazing!!!

By the way, Avatar was a pretty amazing movie. The visual effects alone are worth the price to go see the movie. But the story line was amazing too. I asked James after we got home if he thought the human race would really do something like that to another species if they had something we wanted. He said he figured there are some people out there that would and that broke my heart. Anyway, I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone that hasn't seen it yet so I won't go into anymore detail. But the movie is wonderful...everyone should go see it! Another great movie that we saw a while back was The Blind Side. Go see both of them, they are both wonderful!

Well I'm exhausted...I'm off to bed. I'll be back tomorrow with a review of our menu.

1 interesting comments:

Unknown said...

For those of you that don't know, I have a pretty amazing wife. This site you have put together is great Rhonda! It has the best part about our life. Our family! I love you and appreciate you creativity. James