Sunday, October 25, 2009

What Hurts the Most...

I love this song, even though it has to be one of the saddest songs I've ever heard I still love it. And I think the title is appropriate for this blog. But first, here is the link to the video on CMT, What Hurts the Most.


As a parent, I think one of the worst things in the world is when your child is sick or hurt and you can't fix it. James and I had to go through this twice the last week with Asher. On Tuesday we got back from our visit to California. James was moving the TV and trying to reconnect everything, and Asher, being the curious little boy that he is, was right there next to James trying to help him. I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready when I heard a crash and then a cry. Some how the TV had fallen off the stand we had it on and onto James, Asher and the rocking chair. Luckily James and the chair stopped the TV from really doing serious injury to Asher, but just to be safe James wanted to take him to the hospital for a check up since it got his head pretty good. All was fine, nothing serious, just some bumps and bruises but it was pretty traumatic for all 3 of us.

Thursday night Asher and I were home, James was in CA again working. Around 7 I put Asher in his highchair to feed him dinner, turned around to get something out of the fridge and then
next thing I knew Asher was throwing up! He was having a hard time so I rushed over and tried my best to help him. I gave him a bath thinking it was just the one time it would happen...wrong! From 7 until 10pm he threw up about every 1/2 hour, until he had nothing left to throw up and then it was dry heaves. He wouldn't drink anything and as I thought back to the time I picked him up from his grandparents I realized he hadn't had anything to drink since 4:30pm. His lips were really white and he had no desire to do anything but lay on me. I panicked, which I do often, and took him to the ER for the second time that week! The doctor gave him an IV and some medicine to stop the vomiting. We stayed at the hospital until well after 1:00am. The last time he had thrown up was a little after midnight so they sent us home. They left the IV needle in his arm in case I had to bring him back again for more fluid. Asher hated that. We didn't sleep well at all that night, he woke up several times trying to roll over onto the arm that was all wrapped up. Then at 6:00am he woke up with a fever of 102.5. I gave him some medicine, he finally drank a little water on his own and crashed back asleep. Friday we pretty much spent the day on the couch going in and out of naps and watching movies. I took him to the doctors office around 10 that morning and he said as long as he was keeping liquid down he was doing better, by Friday around 5:30 he hadn't thrown up again and had actually eaten a little bit of banana and some crackers so back to the ER we went to get the needle out of his arm. He actually cried more when they took the needle out then when they put it in. Poor little guy! He still isn't feeling 100% but I can tell he is getting better, thank goodness! Doctors said it was the stomach flu, I'm just thankful it wasn't the H1N1 flu!!!! Because James was in CA I took some pictures of Asher to send to him. Here they are, even sick he is still a little cutie!!!


















The first two pictures were taken in the emergency room Thursday night and the last one was taken at home Friday afternoon. I knew he didn't feel well at all when he climbed on the couch and fell asleep without fighting with me to take a nap!

2 interesting comments:

Nani said...

Aw! Poor sweetie! Asher (and his Dd nd Mom) has had a rough week! I hope things start looking WAY up soon!

The Roberts Family said...

Oh! Poor little guy! I hope that he is feeling better! I can't believe how big he is getting!!!